Pizza used to be my large favorite, but also my worst enemy. It tastes so good, but do I really want to eat 1200 + kcal in one meal?
Luckily, you can make your own egg white 'pizza', with about 1/3 of the calories that still tastes amazing!
All you need is a pan (no oven) and 15 minutes prep time. When it comes to variation, the sky is the limit. You can use your favorite toppings here: Hawaii, goat cheese, different cheeses and meat.
This recipe was posted as guest recipe on the website of Victor Mooren. The Dutch recipe can be found here.
English version below:
Protein: 52 g
Fat: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 33 g
Energy: 456 Kcal
10 egg whites
20 g - 0.7 oz Corn starch
1 tspn Baking soda
½ tspn Garlic powder or a 1 tspn mixture of Italian herbs & garlic powder
½ - 1 tspn Salt
80 g - 2.8 oz Cherry tomatoes
30 g - 1 oz Mushrooms
½ Onion (30 g - 1 oz)
1 -2 Garlic cloves
3-4 tbspns Pasta sauce (30 g – 40 g - 1 - 1.4 oz total)
50 g - 1.8 oz (grated) Cheese
Optional: Extra Italian herbs to garnish and to add extra flavor.
1. Cut the vegetables before hand. When you start to make the pizza you want to work quick, so you can keep everything warm.
2. Mix the egg whites, corn starch, a liberate amount of salt, Italian herb mixture and garlic powder.
You can use a mixer or stick blender, but mixing everything (very) well with a spoon also works.
3. Heat a skillet over medium high heat and spray it with (olive/coconut) oil spray. Don't forget this step, otherwise the egg bottom will stick to the pan and you'll get scrambled eggs (also delicious :)).
As soon as the pan is hot, add the egg white mixture. Let it bake until the egg white bottom start to become light brown, then flip it. Don't let it overcook on both side, because you'll add it to the pan again in a minute.
4. Set the 'pizza bottom' aside.
5. Combine the onion and garlic and stir fry these for 1-2 minutes.
6. Add the mushrooms and stir fry for another few minutes.
7. Add the pasta sauce and heat everything up over very low heat. Set the topping aside.
8. Add the bottom back to the pan. Add the topping sauce on top and finish it with the cheese. Place a lid on top, to let the cheese melt faster.
9. As soon as the cheese is melted, sprinkle some extra Italian herbs on top (optional) and serve directly.